Every adult (including those kids in college) should have a Durable Power of Attorney. In this document you name a trusted person to act as your agent for financial matters while you are living. The person you name is authorized to sign for you whether you are incapacitated or not. We all need to have this document in place if we have trusted family members, friends or advisors so that someone can take over for us if we are temporarily or permanently unable to manage our own financial affairs. This will avoid the expense and delay of a guardianship court proceeding.

Most states have a statutory form you can use to name a financial agent, but your estate planning attorney may recommend a more comprehensive version to give more detail.

Contact Hutchison Law Firm to make an appointment to have Durable Powers of Attorney prepared for you and your family members.

Share this:

Share on twitter
Share on facebook